Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Euro banks in trouble

European banks face showdown over €1 trillion of debt
European banks need to roll over €1 trillion (£877bn) of debt over the next two years at a much higher cost and in direct competition with hungry sovereign states, according to a report by Morgan Stanley.
Read more
Comment: I had my first more intensive encounters with big-shot bankers in the 1980s when I studied sovereign risk analysis. When I asked them about their mediocre sovereign risk analysis models, they openly told me: who cares, in the end the government will bailout us because they have to. The bigger the bank, the more clear was this message. "Too big to fail", as the saying goes. Another name would be: "moral hazard". An even better terms would be "moral corruption".

No comments:

Post a Comment